Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Provencal Chicken with Vegetables en Papillote


On one of my many trips to Costco, yes I love Costco, I picked up Mark Bittman's new book Food Matters.  The book is based on the idea that we should be striving to become what he calls "less meatarians", meaning people who eat less meat.  My partner Spencer and I are trying to be dilligent about this approach as we believe it is both good for us and good for the planet, plus it is a nice baland way to eat.

I've never made anything en papillotte but I have wanted to do so for  while, so when I came accross this recipe I thought it would be a great way of trying out the technique.  Basically you wrap all your ingredients up in a piece of parchment paper and pop it in the oven. 

My packages weren't supper neat, I've always had trouble with anything the slightest bit crafty, but they definitely got the job done.  The book recommended chicken thighs but I had breast so I went with that instead.  The vegetables turned out delicious, nicely steamed with a delicious hint of thyme.  I went relatively heavy on the salt to make sure the flavours popped and it was definitely a good idea.  The chicken juices run into the veggies which makes for a great slow cooked taste for a relatively quick meal (35 minutes in the oven).  If you leave the chicken to sit a bit maybe take it out a few minutes so it can come up to temperature while it is resting, otherwise it might dry out a bit.
We had it with a buttered whole wheat roll on the side and a nice glass of dry white Pinot Gris.  Overall a really nice dinner with inspired Mediterranean flavours, healthy, and a fun new technique.

Will definitely be reapeating this one in future, maybe in smaller portion for a light lunch.

Till next time my foodie friends.

Cheers

Kenny

No comments:

Post a Comment