Search This Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hallelujah Skirt Steak

My quest is finally at an end, and happily for me my quest has finally met with some success.  My mother bought me one of Rick Bayless' cookbooks because I had been wanting to develop my Mexican cooking repertoire.  Unfortunately for me a huge number of Rick's recipes call for hanger steak, something which seems to be unknown, even at several good butcher shops.  I was told time and time again by the many butchers behind the counters that I should use Flank Steak but I persevered because the good Mr. Bayless said that flank steak would just not do.

Finally today I contacted a butcher on Granville Island in Vancouver who told me he had skirt steak, my spirits lifted as I remembered Rick's book Fiesta at Rick's said that skirt steak was a great subsitute.

My meat is on order and I pick it up this Saturday, hurrah!

This same butcher got me out of a bind once previously as well when I was looking for veal bones.

Check him out at Armando's

I'm going to try and make Rick's recipe for a fajita like concoction wrapped in lettuce instead of corn tortillas.  I'm doubly excited about this because I love meats wrapped in lettuce wraps, mostly from my experiences dining on delicious Korean BBQ, and also because it is going to be nice and lo cal.

Cheers for now

K

No comments:

Post a Comment